Monday, September 24, 2012

Nigerian Honey: What to wear to the Nigerian Independence Day Parade

Hello Fashion Honey's!

Today's edition of Fashion Honey posts regards "What to Wear to the Nigerian Independence Day Parade" occurring in New York City on Saturday October 6th, 2012. Ecstatically proud of my Nigerian heritage, I usually fulfill my obligatory duties of making an appearance each year- pretty much since its inception and surely, I never attend without ensuring that I am not fashionable. For those that live under a rock, Nigeria's national colors are green, white and green and that is what you will see if you are on Embassy row in Manhattan on October 6th. Nigeria's actual independence day is on October 1st, but is usually held the weekend thereafter to ensure that the patrons who attend Independence day in Nigeria do not miss out on the festivities occurring in the largest and most vivacious parade in the country in NYC.

Now on to what to wear...

Here is a small montage of photos that I could find of myself at the parade:

2006
The weather was a little more warmer than average and that's when the Luella Bartley bags were in style (Fashion Nostalgia)!!

2007
I decided to stay comfortable and wear the same corduroy jacket from the previous year, but this time I styled it more prep with a J-Crew sweater and Lacoste shirt underneath. I tried to stay true to the green and white.

2010



I decided to re invert the green white and decided to go on trend with a boyfriend blazer and chiffon green ruffle blouse inside.  A gold and white woven belt assisted in cinching my blazer.

2011



Last year, I decided to get more sophisticated and I decided to stay true to my "naija" aesthetic and wear a crocheted green and white lining dress from Tahari Luxe and my favorite bowling mini purse from Zara. Doesn't the dress look like a Nigerian outfit? Elie Tahari hit the nail with this one.

For 2012, we are going to do it really big and I am going to set up some cool pieces that will make you ladies look awesome.

I provided three options that I know will have you working the parade.
1. Fashion Forward Option: This is for the woman that is in trend, you are loving your peplums and mod shirts and very clean lines.

Fashion Forward Take





2. The Ankara Print Look: This is for the woman that wants to stay true to her Nigerian roots. This look will definitely have heads turn!! You can switch out the last look with a pair of green jeggins if it makes you feel more comfy!

Ankara Print Look


And now for #3. A more sophisticated option: This look takes on a mix of the prior two looks and I even incorporated a recent look from Kim Kardashian as styled by Kanye West with the baseball jacket and fitted jersey knit dress. I am soo in love with the airy blouse and ankara/ikat print skirt options.
Sophisticated option




Please note that with most of the looks, I have realistically incorporated flats. There is a lot of walking and dancing that occurs at the parade and I wanted to ensure that the balls of your feet did not burn out.. LOL.

I hope you like my looks- I tried my best to ensure that it didn't incorporate the overdone t-shirt outfits that are seen each year at the Parade!

Enjoy!

Fashion Honey 

No comments:

Get widget